Parents Charged In Death Of Syracuse Youth

 

Darrick Spore

Darrick Spore

On June 28, 2014, a young boy was tragically found dead inside a residence at 202 W. Washington St. in Syracuse. Turkey Creek Fire Territory EMS were called to the home on reports that the boy had stopped breathing. At approximately 3:47 p.m., emergency responders discovered Skyler Spore, 12, deceased inside the residence.

The home was occupied by the deceased, his parents, Darrick Spore and Candy Chamness, along with another child. All were present in the home at the time of the Skyler’s death.

 

 Candy Chamness

Candy Chamness

After an investigation into the death by Syracuse Police Department, Kosciusko County Coroner’s Office, Department of Child Services and the Kosciusko Major Crimes Task Force, Darrick Spore, 34, and Candy Chamness, 33, were arrested for the neglect of a dependent resulting in death. Darrick Spore has additionally been charged with reckless homicide.

According to officials, there were two gas powered generators running inside the residence at the time of Skyler’s death.

An autopsy conducted by the Kosciusko County Coroner’s Office through the Northeast Forensic Center in Fort Wayne revealed that, though the cause of death for Skyler was pending toxicology tests as of July 1, (see related) the tests did appear to be consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning. It was also noted that the use of gas powered generators in the home appeared to be the primary source of the poisoning.

Both Darrick Spore and Candy Chamness were booked into the Kosciusko County Jail on Friday, Aug. 22, with $150,000 surety bonds.

  • k

    I would like to ask for prayers for this family. These poor people have been through so much, and we can’t forget the younger brother. This young boy has lost his big brother and now this with his parents. This was a complete mistake! Yes they nay be guilty of ignorance as to the fumes produced by the generator but but not murders. This whole situation is a complete tragedy. Lord I pray you have you hand upon this already grief stricken family. May our Lord give this family great strength in this very difficult time and most of all prayers for the younger brother who must just be beside himself

    • Elmer Fudd

      Perhaps some more meth will help with their grieving?

  • Elmer Fudd

    Justice for Skylar. His early death should not be in vain, parents both tested positive for meth and (if found guilty) be punished to the full extent of the law. Remaining offspring need to be placed in good homes.

  • The Real Deal

    Definitely prayers are being sent out to the surviving child. However, negligent adults under the influence of Meth and Marijuana along with being ignorant as to the danger gas-powered machines in a home are not deserving of prayers. Homicide of one son and now the other child is an orphan. That is the only part of the tragic story that is deserving of sympathy.

  • Voiceofreason

    Who’s gonna make my coffee at McDonald’s in the morning…”?

  • John Doe

    Remember the woman at the well, a prostitute, which was highly forbidden in that culture jesus had mercy on her every body deserves prayer both the child and the irresponsible parents