UPDATE: Atwood Home Heavily Damaged

_DSC4364Initially reported as a fully engulfed house fire, Atwood and Leesburg fire departments responded to 3787 N. 400 W., Warsaw at about 10 p.m. Monday.

The home, owned by Dawn M. Klinger, 3787 N. 400 W., Warsaw, was heavily damaged in the blaze. Atwood Fire Chief Mike Harmon said the fire was determined to have started in a hood over the kitchen stove and was likely an electrical malfunction.

The fire resulted in some structural damage, but heavy smoke damage throughout the residence may mean the home is a total loss.

Atwood Fire Department was assisted on scene with tankers from Leesburg and Warsaw fire departments and with standby assistance from Multi-Township EMS. The American Red Cross also provided a canteen for the firefighters, who were on scene until about midnight. The Red Cross is also assisting Klinger and her son with temporary shelter.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Comments are closed.