A preliminary investigation conducted by Squad 70, the Kosciusko County Fire Investigation Team, indicates that the fire at 2147 Chapman Lake Dr., Warsaw, Wednesday morning appears to have started in the basement of the home. (See full story)
Investigators say it was determined through preliminary interviews that on Tuesday evening the water lines at the home had frozen and a portable heater was used in an attempt to thaw the pipes. Evidence found at the fire scene indicates that the fire appears to have started in close proximity to the portable heater.
One person perished in the blaze. Although authorities have not yet confirmed the identity of the deceased, family and friends of Steve Hall, 65, say he was not able to get out of the house. Identification is still being made at the North East Indiana Forensic Center, St. Joe Hospital in Fort Wayne.
The fire remains under investigation by the county fire investigation team and Kosciusko County Sherriff’s Department and the Kosciusko County Coroner’s office.