CR 900 North south of Milford was closed for several hours Tuesday afternoon while Milford and Leesburg fire departments battled a house fire.
Firefighters were initially dispatched to 1681 E. CR 900N where flames and heavy smoke where reported coming from the residence. The fire, however, was actually across the road at the home of Dean Hamilton and Kathy Solina, 1766 E. 900N Milford.
Firefighters found a fire in the basement of the 1,300 square foot residence that had vented into a bathroom.
Hamilton and Solina were home at the time of the blaze but were able to exit the home, unharmed. Two cats perished in the fire.
Milford Fire Chief Todd Haines reported the fire did start in the basement and the cause is not suspicious. They did find a space heater in the basement.
In addition to the fire damage, there was extensive smoke damage to the entire home and water damage to the basement. Damage was estimated at $25,000.
Firefighters were at the home until 6 p.m. Despite cold temperatures no weather related injuries or equipment problems were reported.