Leesburg Station Has Background In Railway

MJ Freedom 1-9-13 taSeveral years ago this building on SR 15 in Leesburg, now the Freedom Express gas station, was used as a station for the Winona Interurban Railway. On its route from Goshen to Peru, the electric interurban made a stop in Leesburg.

Interurban passenger service ceased in 1934 and the line was used to move freight until 1952. County property records online show the building was built in 1920. It was also used as a bus station before bays were added to the north end and the building was converted to a gas station.

In the spring, the plan is to tear the building down and build a larger one to replace it. Freedom Oil purchased the former bank building to the south and the alley between the gas station and the former bank was vacated.

Posted in Breaking News, News | Tagged , | | Buy Photos

About Tim Ashley

Tim Ashley, associate editor for The Mail-Journal, has been with The Papers since March 2004. He edits articles for The Mail-Journal, as well as several other publications of The Papers. Ashley also covers Wawasee school board meetings, activities at Wawasee High School and Wawasee Middle School and monthly Kosciusko County Area Planning Commission meetings. A 1996 graduate of Oral Roberts University with a degree in journalism, he lives in Goshen.Staff Writer tashley@the-papers.com

Comments are closed.